Extraction in North York Toronto, ON
While we always prefer to preserve your natural teeth as much as possible, sometimes that just isn’t an option. With tooth extraction, we remove a tooth from its socket in the bone as a last resort. Dr. Santana performs extractions routinely at Astra Dental for the convenience of our patients.
Teeth may need to be extracted for various reasons, including:
- Decay: When a tooth is severely decayed and cannot be restored with a filling or a crown, extraction might be necessary.
- Gum Disease: Advanced gum disease can loosen teeth, making extraction necessary.
- Crowding: In orthodontic treatment, sometimes teeth need to be removed to create space for proper alignment.
- Impacted Teeth: Wisdom teeth, the third set of molars, often become impacted (unable to emerge properly) and may need extraction.
- Trauma: Teeth that are severely damaged due to injury might need to be extracted.
Extractions at Astra Dental
- Anesthesia: Before the procedure, the area around the tooth is numbed using a local anesthetic. In some cases, sedation might also be used to help the patient relax.
- Extraction: Dr. Santana loosens the tooth in its socket and then removes it using specialized dental instruments.
- Healing: After extraction, a blood clot forms in the socket. Dr. Santana will provide instructions on how to care for the area to promote proper healing.
- Aftercare: Patients are typically given guidelines on eating, drinking, and cleaning the area. Pain medication might be prescribed to manage discomfort during the healing process.
- Bite on Gauze: Bite down on a piece of gauze provided by Dr. Santana to help form a blood clot, which is crucial for healing.
- Pain Management: Take prescribed or over-the-counter pain medications as instructed.
- Rest and Recovery: Avoid vigorous physical activity for a few days.
- Soft Diet: Stick to soft foods to avoid putting pressure on the extraction site.
- Oral Hygiene: Be gentle when brushing and avoid the extraction site initially. Rinsing with warm salt water can aid in healing.